An activist and Nigerian Senator, Shehu Sani, representing Kaduna Central, has listed 10 factors working against the unity of Nigeria as a nation.
Mr. Sani in a Facebook post on Sunday, listed the factors as:
1. Dependence on one major source of revenue, from a section of a country, which logically profiles and categorises other sections as parasitic.
2. Fading memory of the tragedy of secession and war; lost lessons of history.
3. Manipulation of sectional, religious and ethnic sentiments and sensibilities of Nigerians by the political class.
4. The slow death of the nationalistic and patriotic spirit in the hearts and minds of Nigerians, evidenced with the perennial indifference to October 1 Independence Day celebrations.
5. A succession of failed governments, economic paralyses and widening gulf between the “have” and the “have-nots.”
6. The rise of a new restive and angry generation without value for, interest in or sense of history.
7. Retention of a national political and socio economic culture which emphasises sharing of national cake as against the barking of national cake. A bogus federal structure of largesse.
8. Deliberate or negligent suffocation of institutions established to promote national unity such as NYSC, Federal Government Colleges, etc.
9. Narcissistic and forlorn ideas and fantasy of chauvinists and ethnic champions dreaming of carving out mini nations along tribal lines.
10. Inequities of a pyramid economic structure; a rich few over a poor many.